Amateur gardeners agree that plum is the same plum. But this opinion is wrong.
Plum and plum - fruits that have differences on nutritional value, taste and other indicators.
How to distinguish plum from cherry plum: a noticeable difference
Gardeners point out the following differences between plum and cherry plum:
- Fruit color. Cherry plum is in most cases represented in a yellow-red color, and plum in a dark blue.
- Differ chemical composition and nutritional value. In the plum, the sugar content is higher, and the calcium is less.
- Place of growth. Cherry plum is common in the southern regions and especially in the Caucasus. This is due to its low winter hardiness. Plum can be found in all countries with a temperate climate and even in the north.
- Different ripening times. Harvest of cherry plums is obtained in the late summer and early autumn, the plum ripens earlier. Cherry plum seedlings begin to bear fruit 2 years earlier than plum trees.
- Bloom. Velvet pink inflorescences in cherry plum appear simultaneously with the blooming of the foliage. Better than others tolerate cooling. For the tendency to early awakening plum used for decorative purposes. Plum flower buds give 1 to 3 white flowers.
- The plum is easier to dry., in which receive prunes.
- Stone in all varieties of cherry plum is not separated. This is a biological feature that cannot be called a significant drawback. There are several differences between plum and cherry plum: from the color of the fruit to resistance to diseases and pests
- The annual yield of cherry plum is higher than that of plum and reaches up to 40 kilograms per tree.
- Little cherry is less susceptible to pests. and numerous diseases, undemanding to the composition of the soil. In our natural conditions, plum is grown without special means of protection. Because of this, it is called an environmentally friendly culture. Plum prone to disease and resistant to pests.
- Irreplaceable plum when cooking the famous Georgian tkemali sauce. Seasoning is suitable for meat, fish, poultry or a side dish of potatoes, pasta. In the original recipe, the sauce does not contain sugar, salt.
You may be interested in our publications:
- Prune and plum is the difference.
- The most common diseases of plums and their treatment.
- When and how to collect plum from the tree?
Buying plum or cherry plum, initially evaluate their appearance. Fruits should not be crumpled, crackling or with signs of rot. The presence of white bloom on the surface is considered normal.
Russian plum, she's plum
Nutritional value and chemical composition
It is common to call the cherry plum one of the original forms of home plum. Its fruits are loved by many for its unique sweet-sour taste and juiciness. Use both fresh and in the preparation of desserts, preserves, sauces, jams.
In recent times Russian scientists have identified the fruit in a separate botanical form - “Russian plum”. The calorific value of cherry plum on average is 27 kcal per 100 grams of product.
Most of the varieties are self-productive. In this regard, on the garden plot several varieties of cherry plum are planted at once, which are necessary for mutual pollination.It is common to call a cherry-plum a form of home plum; scientists have even identified the kind of “Russian plum”
Mature fruits include:
- vitamins of group B, E, PP, C, provitamin A;
- iron, sodium, potassium, phosphorus, calcium;
- pectic substances;
- ascorbic acid.
Cherry plum is combined with various products., such as meat, poultry, vegetables, cheese, cottage cheese. It can be frozen and dried.
Among the popular varieties of cherry plum it is customary to single out: Shater, Bounty, Granite, Kuban comet, Nesmeyana.
Useful properties and harm to the body
Cherry plum is not only a tasty fruit. It has many useful properties.
Cherry plum fruits are used for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes when prolonged constipation, vitamin deficiency, metabolic disorders.
Dietary product consumed by people who want to lose weight. Regular use of ripe fruit is an effective measure for the prevention of cataracts.
Water infusions of flowers have shown efficacy in the treatment of diseases of the kidneys and liver, disorders of the reproductive system in men.
Bone shell is used in the production of activated carbon.
Dried flesh preserves taste, is included in the daily diet as an antiscorbutic agent.
The greatest benefit you can get using fresh cherry plum. Mature fruit has a characteristic aroma and dense skin without damage. All useful properties after freezing are stored in full.
Especially delicious cherry plum juicewhen it is blended with other berries and fruits. Often it is used as a filler for yogurt.Cherry plum fruits are used for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes for prolonged constipation, vitamin deficiency, metabolic disorders
Fruit is recommended for children, pregnant women., older people, athletes. Perfectly quenches thirst and fills with vitality.
Cherry-plum recognized as official medicine useful fruit, but consumption should be monitored. Otherwise, the probability of poisoning the body, the appearance of heartburn, nausea and gastrointestinal disorders.
Without harm to health, you can eat up to 5 fruits.
To contraindications cherry plum children's age about one year, individual intolerance, increase in acidity of gastric juice. The fruit is also worth refusing to people with diseases accompanied by diarrhea.
The benefits and harm of plums, chemical composition
Juicy plum many people have to taste, but the fruit is valuable not only for its taste. The composition of the fruit includes A large number of nutrients are vitamins C, A, B, PP, as well as potassium, phosphorus, iron and others.
Calorie plum on average is 42 kcal. Regardless of the variety, the fruit has a number of useful properties:
- decrease puffiness;
- deliverance from constipation, atony;
- cleansing the intestines, the body of toxins;
- elimination of bile accumulation;
- strengthening the walls of blood vessels, heart muscles and nerve cells;
- normalization of the liver;
- stabilization of blood pressure levels;
- antipyretic effect against colds and infectious diseases, which is accompanied by an increase in human body temperature.
Along with the fruits useful and fruit plum leaves. In their composition there is coumarin, which prevents blood clots and dilutes the blood. Rinsing the mouth with a decoction of the leaves is used at the first symptoms of stomatitis.Plum relieves constipation, swelling, has antipyretic effect, thins blood
To avoid harm to the body, care should be taken when using plums.
To popular plum varieties among gardeners include: Mirabelle, Honey White, Tula black, Alyonushka.
Use in cosmetology
Rich vitamin composition cherry plums and plums allows you to use fruit in cosmetology. Regular application of masks will slow down the aging process, moisturize the skin, as well as narrow pores.
Cherry plum and plum extract widely used in perfumery, in the manufacture of medical soap.
In practice, use the following recipes of traditional medicine:
- Mask based on softened plums and sour cream. Moisturizes the skin, giving it a healthy look.
- Cherry plum seed oil is used in the fight against stretch marks in pregnant women.
- Nutritious cream with cherry plum, egg white and starch.
- A decoction of plum or cherry plum fruit will allow the hair to return its natural shine.
- Cherry plum juice with chamomile extract and baby cream. Recommended by dermatologists for dry, flaking skin.
Plum facial mask:
Possibility of transportation
Harvest time depends on the time of maturation of the fruit in a particular variety. The most important thing is not to delay the collection. Over-grown fruits will quickly begin to crumble on their own. In this case, they will be poorly stored.
Cherry plum is much better to transport than drain. If the fruit is to be moved for a long distance, fruit picking is carried out 5-7 days before full ripening. Boxes with small openings are suitable for transportation.
If the gardener decided to grow plum or cherry plum on his plot, you should carefully consider the choice of a particular variety. The end result depends on it.
Plum and plum are the two closest relativesthat belong to the same botanical genus, you can distinguish them.